Wednesday 17 February 2016

Research notes

I am often asked about my research techniques.  During the writing of my novels the research process never stops.  At first when planning the novel a certain amount of preliminary research is necessary and this usually takes the form of a small notebook.  Each of my books has a little book like this where all my ideas are jotted down.  I usually make notes about research that I might find useful, and sometimes collect ideas from a range of sources. 
Mostly a notebook like this gets filled with characters names, dialogue, crazy ideas and a lot of stuff that never makes it into the book.  This can be invaluable information and I have found these very useful when writing the Torc Trilogy.  I have often dipped in and out them searching information relating to each book in the series.

Sometimes I come across little Gems that I have forgotten about.

Little A6 notebooks are an invaluable resource.

Highlighted notes in my little book.


The bulk of my research is from the internet.  Pages are printed off and paragraphs highlighted before being filed in a folder.  This folder is a research tool that I use whenever I need to revise on a subject or to learn about some technical aspect, it can often be used to verify a fact.      

The research file used when writing The Belgae Torc.

The file stuffed full of useful research notes.

Sometimes a little medical knowledge is useful, it all depends on what the characters are getting up to!

I needed to know about mythology and folklore.


I had never heard of a Moon pool before but one featured quite a lot in The Belgae Torc




These dive tables were useful although I needed to consult with an expert to understand how to use them.

I had to learn about weapons, so I consulted the internet but I also had to speak with experts.
As you can see my research file was filled with information that took me into lots of different subjects.  I could never plan for this when starting out, but had to wait and see how the novel developed, only then could I decide what subject to research.


All that research leads to this, the first hand written draft.


The hand written draft is then typed up into a first printed draft.


This is how I like to work, I can only assume that others do the same.  
I find my research files a useful resource when planning other books, I'm always dipping in and out of them.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating to hear about your process! The internet must make life so much easier for authors - having all that information at your fingertips. I presume in the "old days" (ie pre-1990s!) authors would have to spend many hours in the library. It's interesting also that you handwrite your novels. I presume most authors nowadays type straight into the computer. Do you do all your drafts right up to the finished article by hand. Do you then type it all up yourself or get a typist to do it for you? Thanks for an interesting blog. I haven't actually read any of your books yet but will certainly do so, given Kimberly's excellent reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello WoofWoof.

    Thank you for your message.
    I usually do two drafts by hand before I type up the first manuscript. Each re-write is a chance for editing to take place. The first typed manuscript gets edited to death then I print it out again. If I think it's good enough this one gets sent to proof readers.
    The internet is a marvelous tool for researching. I do use books though and have a comprehensive library at home.
    I hope you get to read my books, I would value your feedback.

    All the best

    Kevin Marsh

    ReplyDelete