Wednesday 14 July 2021

Fly a Spitfire simulator

Spitfire Simulator

The Spitfire simulator at Manston Museum in Kent is a fantastic way to experience life in the cockpit of this iconic aircraft.








I arrived for my pre-flight briefing and became familiar with the controls before starting the Merlin engine and trundling off along the runway.
I took off from Biggin Hill and flew out over London heading for the Shard which soon appeared on the horizon.  Climbing to 2000 feet I made a right turn around the Shard heading for the Serpentine and passing over Buckingham Palace then out over the estuary where I did a couple of 'Victory rolls'.  Climbing to 10,000 feet I did a couple of loops experiencing the effects of stall as the airspeed over the wings struggled to keep the aircraft aloft.  It was all so realistic with the graphics through the screen perfectly clear.  Swooping down through wispy cloud over the Isle of Grain I was supposed to fly beneath the QEII bridge but I had too much height so missed the opportunity.  Heading along the coast towards Whitstable and Herne Bay I made a sharp right turn before lining up on Manston airport where I made a bumpy landing.
The flight lasted for a good half hour leaving me breathless and wanting more.
A few hours in this machine and I feel certain I could fly it solo without the guidance of my brilliant instructor.

This experience is a must for budding Spitfire pilots and those simply interested in flying.

 

2 comments:

  1. What ho, old chap. Sounds like a splendid flip, and probably the closest one can get to flying the real thing without parting with a four-figure sum! I went to the Manston museum a couple of years ago and although I didn't get a chance to have a go on the Spit simulator I had a splendid time and intend to return - even more so now I've read of your experience. I did get to fly a VR WW1 aircraft at my (then-local) museum here and that was mightily realistic with the VR goggles on - highly recommended indeed!

    Trust you're keeping well old sport; hope to see you around the SC again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brucie old chap, Thank you for dropping in and leaving a comment. Jolly nice to hear from you. I'm having the most devil of a job trying to log into the SC, my machine keeps directing me to other places. However I shall keep trying. Yes, the jaunt was rather jolly and one that I shall repeat. Your VR WWI experience sounds rather interesting. May have to look it up. Keep well old chum.

    ReplyDelete