Friday 5 January 2024

Editing

 Editing process


Editing starts at the very beginning.

I write my first and second draft by hand using a fountain pen.




This hand written draft then gets typed up on my computer with more fundamental corrections made at this point.  Once the complete manuscript is typed up, double line spaced, I then print it off, usually a ream of paper.  It then gets 'red penned' again by me then a proof reader.  Here spelling errors that have escaped my attention and many do! as well as grammar is corrected.  Continuity is also checked.  In my latest edit I found that a character called Alan had changed his name to Colin a couple of chapters later, how did that happen?Continuity is a key factor when editing.  Its common for characters to undergo an unwitting transformation of some kind so I always keep a list of characters including a brief profile so I know who thy are and what they look like.



This is my reference book, it contains character profiles, bits of dialogue that I might use, research notes and ideas, everything that I need when writing my novel.  Lots of things in here never make it into the novel but is a rich source of information for sequels or following novels in a series.

Once I have made the 'red pen' corrections from the printed draft to the typed version I then set about reading from the computer.


Errors that have been missed, and there usually are some, including paragraphs that seem awkward are changed at this point.

The editing process can take quite a long time especially if I choose to use several proof readers.  My publisher is a small operation who does not proof read my work.  I like it that way as there can be no arguments between us.  I'm not sure that I could work with an editor who insists on me changing paragraphs and dialogue or one who criticises my work too much.



From this


 to this


then this


finally this

Editing is a process that cannot be ignored, it's an integral part of the book writing process.  Unfortunately not all errors can be found, they may even exist in some of the best written books.

No comments:

Post a Comment