The Merville Battery is situated just a few kilometres from Le Bois des Monts and it was here that fierce fighting took place between the German gunners and men of the 9th Parachute Regiment.
A carefully restored Dakota, these aircraft were extensively used to drop parachute regiments into Normandy. They were also used to tow gliders full of men and equipment to landing areas all over battle zone.
Views of just a couple of the fortifications used to house huge guns and German soldiers. British paratroopers were given the task of taking out the guns that were aiming at the beach just a few kilometres away. Many more Allied troops would have been killed if it was not for the para's, many of whom gave their lives to silence these guns, just before the beach landing began on 6th June 1944.