Friday 5 June 2015

The title explained

This is the reason behind my choice of title.

 

The Gordian Knot is a legend of Phrygian Gordian associated with Alexander the Great and is often used as a metaphor for an intractable problem.
I thought this an appropriate title because of the challenges facing my characters. The mystery and power surrounding the Belgae Torc has an effect on them all and this forms the basis of The Torc Trilogy.
As the plot is linked with both Germanic Paganism and Celtic mythology, I chose the Triquetra, a three cornered shape and symbol used by both Christians and Polytheists, as a foundation for some of the druidic rituals in the story. It is also an appropriate image for the cover of the book.
This particular design is influenced by an illustration in the Lindisfarne Gospels and although it's a Celtic or 'trinity knot', I think it symbolises the metaphor perfectly. The colour green and the Celtic element is for Orlagh and her Irish roots.
Every aspect of my novel is influenced by this magical design, and the title; The Gordian Knot, leads nicely into the final part of The Torc Trilogy, but that of course is another story.

The artwork used to craete my book cover



I'm now working on the final book in the trilogy and have a working title, (top secret)!
Now all I need to do is find an appropriate image.


2 comments:

  1. Who would have known one symbol would hold so much history and spirituality.
    Thank you for explaining the background to the title. I know the Celtic and Pagan background of this particular knot as a Catholic it stands for the Holy Trinity and the Celts believed it to be a protective symbol blocking evil!~ I used to wear one on a silver chain. I better find it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kimberly,

    You are right; this symbol is so spiritually powerful that it transcends many ancient religions. I love researching this kind of thing and am honoured to be able to weave it into my books.
    Thank you for stopping by.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete