Monday 25 September 2017

Warning


Warning, do not read this book without having read the two that precede it.  
Cutting the Gordian Knot is the final book in the The Torc Trilogy




Authors note


In Greek mythology, King Gordius of Phrygia tied a knot that defied all who tried to untie it.  An oracle prophesised that anyone who could undo this Gordian Knot would rule Asia.  Alexander the Great simply cut the knot with one stroke of his sword, hence the saying ‘to cut the Gordian Knot’, meaning to solve a difficult problem by a simple, bold and effective action.

When I began writing The Gordian Knot, I already had an idea for the title of the next book.  Cutting the Gordian Knot became my working title which I thought very apt because of the intractable problems facing my characters.
This final book is the story that concludes everything.  Like Alexander the Great, my characters will have to solve all the problems by a simple, bold and effective action.
I was a little worried that this title would be too close to that of the previous book so I decided on a change and it became Cutting the Gordian Knot (the final solution)
With book one, The Belgae Torc, I tried to establish a sense of history that would remain throughout the trilogy.  The mysterious torc and the powers surrounding it is a reminder of just how significant symbols like this once were.  I used this novel to establish the main characters and to get a feeling for their individual personalities.  I also set in motion a relationship between Orlagh and Jerry that would develop through each novel.
Book two, The Gordian Knot continues with the historical references but I wanted to bring these closer to home.  By introducing Harald and Freya, a direct connection could be made between the events of 1940s Germany and the Phoenix Legion.  I wanted to do this using the human element; this was also the first step in drawing many of the characters together.  We are all influenced in some way by our pasts and history has a habit of repeating itself.


For more information about this and the other books in the trilogy check out my website, www.kevinmarshnovels.co.uk  


No comments:

Post a Comment