Wednesday 4 October 2017

The Cellist, how it all began.


A quick review of how The Cellist became the next story in my 'Thriller' series.





The Cellist began life as a modern day/historical novel.  I completed a few chapters several years ago before setting it aside to write The Gordian Knot, the second book in The Torc Trilogy.  It was always my intention to return to this novel and complete it so with that in mind I wrote notes on how the plot was to develop and made up comprehensive character profiles.
When I eventually picked up the file and began to familiarise myself with the story I discovered that other ideas were beginning to develop.  It’s true that certain characters appear as real people in the mind of their creator and often drive the plot, sometimes with alarming consequences.  I’ve had characters in previous books end up in some strange and rather unexpected situations leaving me to come up with a solution to get them out of it.  Anyway, out went the historical element along with some of the principle characters from that part of the story.  Most of the modern day characters remained.  Mia underwent a surname change don’t ask me why, it was probably something to with the plot lurching in a completely different direction.  Who am I to question the Principle character?
The Cellist was always going to be linked with The Witness, I see it as book two in a series of stories that share characters and places.  Although not a sequel, The Cellist does seem to answer some of the questions left open at the end of The Witness.  It would be an advantage to have read The Witness before tackling this book as you will have a greater understanding of where previous characters and events fit.
Many interesting subjects have been explored in The Cellist and I had fun researching certain aspects of the plot before weaving a story around my findings.  It was never my intention to alienate specific groups of society so hopefully I have dealt with issues sympathetically.

I’m planning to write further thrillers that link these books together so some of my characters will appear again.

No comments:

Post a Comment