Wednesday 10 July 2019

How I write my novels.

I am often asked how I write my novels.  I have probably covered this before in a previous blog but I am always happy to write about what works for me.

Firstly, I write the first draft by hand.  I then write it out again embellishing and adding to my work.


My first draft hand written in a notebook.



Second draft hand written on this occasion on recycled printer paper.

My research and notes are kept in another notebook.  I used to print research notes from the computer but now tend to be more selective and hand write out paragraphs and sections that I am interested in.  Everything goes into this notebook from ideas, a list of character names, notes on the ongoing plot and odd bits of dialogue.  Keep notes and never suffer from writers block!  


Research notes written out in a notebook.  On these pages I have been researching the work of Stonemasons and also Forensic Photographers.

From the second hand written draft I type up the manuscript.  This then gets its first edit, the red pen is in action here.  These edits are then made on the computer and I print out the manuscript as I go.  This can then be used as a reference when checking out who said what etc.


Typed manuscript having undergone its first edit, but I have not finished with the red pen yet.  Later I will read it through and make further changes.

The manuscript will under go many edits before it will be ready for proof reading.  I do this both with a red pen and also by reading through the manuscript on my computer.  I will read the book many times before handing it over to the proof readers.

I usually aim for 120,000 words.  With my last book I wrote just over 125,000 words but edited out nearly 5000 of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment