Sunday 1 November 2020

Chapter One



 The beginning of a new novel.

A pen full of ink, a list of characters and a blank notebook.

What opportunities are waiting to be had, what are the characters going to do, how are they going to react?  So many questions.


Whenever I pick up my pen I have an idea of where the plot is going but from previous experience I know that my characters are going to have their say.  I might know what I want to achieve but often reply on the characters to do the hard work.  Their interaction will lead to scenarios that I might not have considered or dialogue will change my ideas completely.  My style of writing involves me as some kind of referee running around my characters, steering the plot in the right direction.  Much of what appears on the page is made up of a collaboration between myself and people who do not exist.

This brings me to my next thought; Are characters real?  

Some of them I like and respect others I don't think much of.  I try not to have favourites, but inevitably some characters will stand out.  I wouldn't say they become my friends, there is always a distance between us although I know all about them and their secrets.  

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment