Wednesday 27 May 2020

Cutting the Gordian Knot (The Final Solution)


Cutting the Gordian Knot, the third book in The Torc Trilogy
is still on offer from Amazon on Kindle at just 99p or $1.21






In 2011 I began writing a story about an Iron Age torc and an Irish archaeologist called Orlagh Gairne.  I had no idea at the time what adventures we would have together.  I did not plan to write a trilogy, The Belgae Torc was supposed to be a standalone action adventure novel with an historical theme.  Orlagh, Jerry and Jack were to solve the mystery surrounding the torc then their story would end, but in August 2012 just after the first book was launched my publisher suggested something more.  He thought that these characters were strong enough to be developed so we began to discuss another adventure.   Initially I was not convinced, I was well into my second book, a psychological thriller called The Witness, but it was clear from our conversation that my publisher was expecting the second book in the series.

In 2013 I began to write The Gordian Knot.  This book continued with The Torc theme but this time I had to build up the suspense and make the plot sound very real.  My publisher urged me not to solve all the issues in this book because he was expecting a third book.  I didn’t see that one coming!
Again we discussed taking the story further and he advised me on how I might do this. 

By this time The Belgae Torc was being advertised in a national historical magazine and it was here that The Torc Trilogy label came about.  Even they thought a trilogy would be a good idea so by this time I was beginning to panic.  I was still not confident with developing the story into a third book.
Anyway, the title The Gordian Knot has a meaning.  The original knot bound the chariot of Gordius, the King of Phrysia together.  It was a knot of such complex that it was decreed that whoever could loosen it would become the ruler of Asia.  In 333BC Alexander the Great is said to have undertaken the task.  He studied the knot for some time but like those who came before him was unable to work out how it could be untangled.  Not to be undone, so to speak, he drew his sword and with one quick decisive move cut the knot and solved the problem.

The term Gordian Knot has become an ancient adage or proverb meaning an insurmountable problem.
My book The Gordian Knot is based on the seemingly impossible problems that Orlagh and co would have to solve.
I see a similarity between Alexander the Great and Jack Harrington.  Jack is the character who shoulders much of the burden and if he and the others are to survive then like Alexander the Great he must act quickly and decisively.

The title of the final book in the trilogy almost became To Cut the Gordian Knot, but that did not sound right to me.  Solving the problem is what this book is essentially all about so I decided to elongate the original working title and it became Cutting the Gordian Knot-The Final Solution.  Although a bit of a mouthful, this seemed a fitting description of what the story was all about, I was happy with it and so was my publisher.
We see a couple of new characters who along with the old favourites help to develop the plot.  I had a bit of fun revealing more about the private lives of some of them.
This may be the final book in The Torc Trilogy, but I have notes for another adventure.  Orlagh, Jerry and Jack will definitely be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment